Chris Lau, KAPITALL Contributor: When Samsung reports quarterly results by April 26, 2013, investors should expect another set of strong quarterly profits. Samsung has a market capitalization of around $220 billion, compared to around $397 billion for Apple, Inc. (AAPL). The gap in size shrunk considerably as Apple shares dropped more than 30% over the last 6 months [More Analysis by Chris Lau: Profitable Ways to Invest in Cloud Computing ]:
Sales for Samsung are dependent on less expensive smartphone devices, although the company has more than 30 models on the market.
Another reason that sales for Samsung is growing strongly is that the company spends far more than its competitors. According to Asymco, marketing expenditures was $4.335 billion in 2012. By comparison, the dollar spending by other U.S. giants were:Company/ Advertising Spend in $: 1) Dell (DELL): 800 million 2) Apple (AAPL): 1 billion 3) HP (HPQ): 1 billion 4) Microsoft (MSFT): 1.6 billion 5) Coca Cola (KO): 3.342 billion
Kapitall’s compar-o-matic tool may be used to visualize the effectiveness of marketing spend, by plotting Price of Profit (“POP”) against quarterly sales: Investors will notice that HP once generated the highest level of sales, but fell behind Apple as sales for mobile devices grew to support sales of more than $50 billion. On the far right of the interactive chart, Coca Cola generated much lower quarterly revenue. Even as a consumer goods company the company has the highest POP compared to the technology companies. Investors should not be surprised that Coca Cola has a high POP: the company spends a significant amount in advertising. Of course, Samsung spends more than Coca Cola.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV