Arizona Lawmakers Say Gold Should Be Legal Tender
By CRISTINA SILVA
PHOENIX (AP) â¿¿ The Republican-led Arizona Legislature has passed legislation making gold and silver legal tender, no different under state law than the U.S. dollar printed by the federal Treasury Department.
But under the bill the House passed Monday, the state Department of Revenue wouldn't have to accept gold as legal payment.
State officials want no part in the bill because they are wary of how it would work in practice, said Republican Rep. David Livingston, who ushered the legislation through the House and crafted the amendment exempting the state Department of Revenue from the proposed law at its request. But Livingston said the state's reluctance to participate in the measure is not indicative of larger problems with the bill."They wanted to make sure they wouldn't be required to take gold and silver," Livingston said in a telephone interview before the vote. "They just didn't want to have to deal with it right now." The measure reflects a growing distrust of government-backed money amid the declining value of the dollar. Many investors have invested their money in precious metals in recent years, and the value of gold and silver is on the rise. But allowing gold to be used as legal payment is still considered extreme by most governments. If the Arizona measure were to become law, it would become only the second state in the nation to recognize gold and silver as legal tender. Utah became the first in 2011. Lawmakers in Minnesota, North Carolina, Idaho, South Carolina, Colorado and other states have debated similar laws in recent years. The Arizona House passed the bill 36-22 along party lines Monday. The Senate gave the bill its blessing in February in a 17-11 partisan vote. The House's amendment exempting the Department of Revenue means the bill has to go back to the Senate for approval.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV