Girl Scout CEO Attends 2013 Youth Emblem / Adult Recognition Ceremony With Archbishop Timothy Cardinal Dolan
Receives St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Medal in Recognition of Her Commitment to the Formation and Development of Girls in Catholic Troops
NEW YORK, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Anna Maria Chávez, Chief Executive Officer of Girl Scouts of the USA, on Sunday participated in an annual "Scouting Mass" given by the Archbishop of New York, Timothy Cardinal Dolan at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. The mass was held in recognition of both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts who have earned a Catholic Youth Emblem from the Diocese for completing specially designed Catholic action projects. Honorees included 27 girls from the Girl Scouts of the Heart of the Hudson and Greater New York Girl Scout councils.
"As a Roman Catholic and a Girl Scout, I am keenly aware of the impact faith can have in a scout's life, and the significant role the church has played in advancing the cause of the Girl Scout Movement around the world," said Ms. Chávez. "A commitment to religious faith is a foundational element of the Girl Scouts of the USA, one that has played a vital role for millions of girls across our Movement who have drawn inspiration and wisdom from their faith. The Catholic Church emphasizes the development of the whole person, mind, body and spirit; a goal in keeping with the mission of the Girl Scouts to develop young women with the skills, vision and confidence they will need to be leaders in today's world."
As part of the ceremony, Archbishop Dolan invited Ms. Chávez to join him in presenting the various "emblems" awarded to girls who have completed the age-appropriate curriculums with the help and support of their Girl Scout troops:
- 25 middle school girls received the Marian emblem – earned for "reflective action" projects.
- 2 high school girls received the Spirit Alive emblem, which assists young women in discovering how the Holy Spirit moves in their lives, and calls for greater participation in ministry of the Church.
- In addition, 2 adults received St. Anne emblem, the highest recognition for adults who serve Catholic Youth through scouting.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts