NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With 500,000 Americans giving up looking for work, according to jobs figures from the U.S. Labor Department, and a paltry 88,000 jobs created in the U.S. last month, what's a frustrated job-seeker to do?
How about asking a female business owner for a job?
The chances, on a relative basis at least, are that you'll get one.
The best states to look for women-owned businesses skew toward the U.S. South, with the most welcoming states for female entrepreneurs including Georgia, which is up 112% since 1997, followed by Texas (93%), North Carolina (91%) and Louisiana (94%). San Antonio, Texas; Portland, Ore.; and Houston, Texas, are at the top of the list of cities with the fastest-growing rates of women-owned businesses. To find a women-owned company in your area, contact the Women's Business Enterprise National Council or ask your local Chamber of Commerce Office for help.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV