Ohio City That Became Recession Focus Rebounds
WLMINGTON, Ohio (AP) â¿¿ A southwest Ohio community that became a national focal point for demonstrating the pain of recession job loss is making a slow comeback.
In the front windows of Wilmington's city hall, placards keep a running tally of new jobs in the community. So far this year, the number is 139. Mayor Randy Riley tells the Dayton Daily News it's a small way to focus on good news.
When DHL decided to move its package delivery operations out of the Wilmington Air Park amid the recession, the resulting loss of some 8,000 jobs in a county of 42,000 residents sent the unemployment rate soaring past 16 percent. National news media reported from Wilmington, and celebrities such as "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno and TV cooking star Rachael Ray came to the community for benefit efforts as food pantries struggled to keep up with increased demand.
Riley said that while Wilmington was the "tip of the spear" of the recession in the 2008-09 years, it now can be an example of fighting back to recovery."I want to be the phoenix rising from the ashes," Riley said of the community. A variety of employers added jobs, and Clinton County unemployment is dropping, down to 10.9 in the latest state figures. And since December, the community has tallied 378 pledges of new jobs â¿¿ the City Hall count includes only jobs that are already filled. And Airborne Maintenance and Engineering Services expects to hire more than 250 workers and is building a $15 million repair hangar at the air park. The state of Ohio has helped with tax incentives for job-creating businesses and is trying to encourage businesses to use the air park. "We have a great facility down there, and we scout around all the time," Gov. John Kasich said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV