WASHINGTON, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Members of the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA) will bring Main Street to Capitol Hill when they convene April 10-11 in Washington, D.C. for the 2013 PIA Federal Legislative Summit.
"The PIA summit occurs this year as agents continue to face unprecedented challenges," said PIA National President Andrew C. Harris. "Obamacare, flood insurance, crop insurance, taxes and the threat of federal encroachment into our industry are all issues that concern us. It is critical that we continue our campaign of advocacy on behalf of Professional Insurance Agents, our clients and the American free enterprise system."
During the 2013 Federal Legislative Summit, PIA members will advocate on a host of issues. PIA:
- Supports the role of independent agents and brokers in healthcare reform and just compensation for agents.
- Supports a 2013 Farm Bill that continues to fully utilize the expertise of professional, independent insurance agents and opposes any additional cuts to the Federal Crop Insurance Program (FCIP).
- Supports the continued implementation of reforms to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) along with solutions to eliminate the program's debt, and opposes privatization of the NFIP while there is no sustainable private market solution.
- Opposes federal regulation of insurance and supports a modernized national system of state-based insurance regulation.
- Supports a Federal Insurance Office (FIO) that strictly adheres to its congressional mandate and is not a regulator of the business of insurance. Opposes any grant of additional authority to the FIO.
- Opposes federal preemption of state insurance oversight, whether optional or mandatory.
- Supports reducing individual and corporate income tax rates for small businesses.
"PIA is an aggressive, activist organization that is never afraid to speak up and speak out on behalf of our members and clients," said PIA National Executive Vice President & CEO Ron Von Haden. "Every year, we find it necessary to fight off new and recurring threats to our ability to compete and succeed. Our legislative summit is just one part of PIA's year-round grassroots advocacy program."The 2013 PIA Federal Legislative Summit begins on the evening of Wednesday, April 10 with an in-depth issue briefing session at the Crystal City Marriott in Arlington, Virginia, PIA's headquarters hotel. At the end of the day, participants will attend a reception sponsored by The PIA Partnership as well as the annual Professional Insurance Agents Political Action Committee (PIAPAC) Awards Dinner. On April 11, participants will gather for a kickoff breakfast. The keynote speaker will be Rep. Andy Barr (R-Ky.), a member of the House Financial Services Committee. Agents will then spend the remainder of the day on Capitol Hill meeting with lawmakers. The day after the summit, members of the PIA National Natural Catastrophe Working Group will discuss the ongoing implementation of reforms mandated by the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012. PIA took a lead role in successfully lobbying for passage of the legislation.