Vast Majority Of Working Americans Reveal They Are Not In Their Dream Job, According To A USA Network Poll
NEW YORK, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The vast majority of full time working Americans (79%) admit they are in jobs that do not reflect their true career passions, and if given a chance to land their dream gig, 83% would jump at the opportunity, according to a USA Network poll. The Poll was conducted in conjunction with USA's upcoming new reality series, THE MOMENT, which follows the stories of nine people who are given a second chance at pursuing their dream job and premieres April 11 at 10/9c.
A whopping 80% of Americans admit they have thought about abandoning their careers for something else at some point; 86% work to pay bills and survive; while a mere 13% were lucky enough to be living to work. Out of those fortunate to have landed their dream gig, only 2 in 10 started off in that job. Also, 63% of working Americans would choose a different job if money didn't matter.
"These findings reflect that many Americans feel trapped in their jobs," said legendary Super Bowl MVP Kurt Warner, who is the host of THE MOMENT. "As someone who went from working in a grocery store to ultimately becoming an NFL quarterback, I encourage everybody to follow their dreams. The key to being happy in your job – and life – is to find your passion and live it. It's never too late to rewrite your life story."
The poll found that Americans are crippled by fear and regret, with more than half afraid to switch careers and 42% citing family obligations as a barrier to pursuing their dream job. Not surprisingly, older women (61%) are most likely to say they are scared to switch careers and younger men are least likely (48%). And young men (89%) are most likely to take their dream job if it was offered.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV