Emergency Cash Sent To Cyprus To Save Animals Threatened By Starvation During Financial Crisis
IFAW works with local animal welfare partners to supply emergency relief, in the form of medications, equipment and emergency grant support for animals in need around the world. Normally these emergency situations are brought about by natural disasters such as the earthquake in Haiti in 2010 or the Aquila, Italy earthquake of 2009; man-made disasters such as the Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011 or conflict zones such as Baghdad, Tripoli and Egypt in previous years. This is the first time that the financial crisis has caused an animal welfare disaster of this kind.
"The financial root of this crisis is unique," said Shannon Walajtys, Manager of IFAW's Disaster Response Program. "But regardless of the cause animals often suffer unfairly in times of crisis as the people on whom they depend are no longer able to care for the animals. It is left to IFAW to come in and help while a longer-term, sustainable solution can be found."
About IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare) Founded in 1969, IFAW saves animals in distress all over the world. With projects in more than 40 countries, IFAW provides hands-on assistance to animals in need, works to prevent animal cruelty, and advocates protecting wildlife and their habitats. For more information, visit our website: www.ifaw.org. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Notes for editors:The eight agencies that have received aid from IFAW are:
- Argos Sanctuary
- Nicosia Dog Shelter
- Farmakas Shelter
- Nicosia Cat Society
- Sirius Shelter
- Aradippou Shelter
- Paws Dog Shelter
- Malcom Cat Society
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV