News Summary: Treasury Chief Prods EU On Austerity
By The Associated Press
SEEK GROWTH: U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said European countries should adopt more growth-friendly policies, as he kicked off a series of meetings with the region's top leaders.
US TIES: Lew said the U.S. economy has an immense stake in the health and stability of Europe, its biggest trading partner. The U.S. hopes Europe will relent in its focus on debt reduction, which has been hurting growth through spending cuts and tax increases.
RUMBLINGS: The EU's debt-reduction strategy also has become increasingly controversial within Europe, as many nations experience rising unemployment and falling economic output â¿¿ which in turn increases their debt load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV