CHARLOTTE, N.C., April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy CEO Jim Rogers today urged people to encourage their federal legislators to take immediate action to develop a more sustainable financial strategy for the country.
"With ever-increasing mountains of debt, the track our country is on is not sustainable," Rogers said. "At more than $11.8 trillion, the size of our publicly held national debt currently amounts to more than 73 percent of our entire economy, and is set to hit 100 percent by the early 2030s.
"A debt burden of this magnitude could increase interest rates, inflation and unemployment, and could even lead to a debt-fueled fiscal crisis," he added.Rogers has joined the Campaign to Fix the Debt, a nonpartisan group of more than 350,000 citizens from across the country, who have come together to demand that federal leaders reduce wasteful and low-priority spending and simplify the tax code, among other actions. "I encourage everyone to take a moment to sign the petition at www.fixthedebt.org and demand a common sense solution to prevent disaster and renew our nation's economic strength," Rogers said. "In my 35-plus years in the energy industry, 25 as a CEO, I have worked with dedicated teammates who have demonstrated that long-term success requires a commitment to sustainability, efficiency and reliability. " Washington must show the same commitment. "If we stay on our current course, a decade from now, more than three-quarters of all federal spending will be taken up by just two items: our entitlement programs and interest on our national debt," Rogers said. "This budgetary squeeze will crowd out other vital government functions, including investments in education, research and technology, which enable American companies to compete worldwide.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV