Adding to my sense of meta, understandably, was The Deal's being acquired in September by TheStreet Inc. For better or worse, we Dealers got hit with the whole M&A schmeer -- the rumors that precede a transaction, the layoffs that come with it and a sense of dislocation while adjusting to a new office and a new regime.
It's good to see that The Deal is already back to hiring, back to building an editorial team to cover the M&A resurgence many believe is just ahead. Although I'm tempted to temper any optimism by cautioning we're not out of the woods yet, the very phrase brings back memories of a perpetually troubled media company I covered a couple of decades ago.
The company's long-awaited turnaround had so many promising but ultimately false starts that analyst after analyst invariably ended his research report, after updating investors on whatever progress the company had made, by noting they're not out of the woods yet. This went on for so long that a particularly contrarian analyst couldn't resist beginning his report with the supposition: "Maybe they like it in the woods?"
Having lived with this metaphor for quite a while myself, I can state unequivocally it's not always fun living what one's covering. And vice versa. But I hasten to add that being in the woods of disruption is always challenging, often stimulating and never boring. Besides, what better place to observe those green shoots?Written by Richard Morgan in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV