Desalination Plant Using STW's Technology Is Treating 700,000 Gallons Per Day
MIDLAND, Texas, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- STW Resources Holding Co. announced today that its proprietary water desalination system using its technology adapted from oil and gas fields is fully functional at the Ranchland Hills Gold Club near Midland, converting 700,000 gallons a day of brackish water into fresh water the quality of rainwater that is being used for fairways and greens.
Stanley Weiner, CEO of Midland-based STW Resources, said the system is economical to operate and returns a higher percentage of fresh water from brackish water. He explained that Ranchland's wells are 1,800 feet deep, in the brackish Santa Rosa aquifer, which is below the fresh water aquifer used by most individuals and municipalities.
"There was not enough flow in the standard fresh water aquifer to supply the needs of an 18-hole golf course and because of the brackish water's high salinity, Ranchland was spending significant money on chemicals designed to keep salt buildup off the roots of grass, trees and other plants," Weiner said.
Weiner noted that the system is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the system that STW uses to clean up produced oilfield water."Salinity is not the main issue in produced water, whereas it is the main concern for the golf course," Weiner said. "Our system uses a proprietary technology, and proprietary chemical combination, that allows the system to recover a higher percentage of water, at a lower cost, than most desalination systems. Water coming from this treatment is like rainwater." He noted that so much dissolved content is removed that certain amounts of minerals must be mixed back into the water before being distributed to Ranchland's pipes. "Water that is too pure is highly corrosive since it tries to dissolve whatever it comes into contact with," he explained.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV