PASCAGOULA, Miss., April 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that its Ingalls Shipbuilding division achieved a significant milestone in the construction process of the composite hangar that will be used on the U.S. Navy's second Zumwalt-class guided missile destroyer, Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001). Recently, the shipbuilders at the company's Gulfport, Miss., facility turned the inverted hangar to an upright position, or ship-shape, which is an important and necessary feat in the construction schedule of this component.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=18001
"We have a strict schedule we follow in the construction of the hangar, and turning it ship-shape allows us to finish the necessary outfitting and integration prior to delivery," said Ingalls' DDG 1000 Program Manager Steve Sloan. "Our Gulfport shipbuilders are performing well on our DDG 1001 work, and we have demonstrated a considerable improvement from the first set of class products to the second set. The shipbuilders who specialize in composite work are able to perform a significant amount of outfitting as the hangar is constructed in an inverted position. The 216-ton, 68-foot wide structure is currently 71 percent complete and will be fully outfitted and ready for delivery at the end of September.Ingalls Shipbuilding is building the hangar, peripheral vertical launch system (PVLS) and composite deckhouse for DDG 1001. The PVLS is under construction at the company's Pascagoula facility and is expected to be delivered at the end of July. All major units have been stacked on the composite deckhouse, and it is currently 57 percent complete. It is expected to be delivered in the first quarter of 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV