Universal Music Group Strikes Global Partnership With Shawn "JAY Z" Carter's Roc Nation
SANTA MONICA, Calif. and NEW YORK, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Music Group (UMG), the world's leading music company, and Roc Nation, the renowned entertainment company founded by Shawn "JAY Z" Carter, announced today that they have entered into a multi-year, worldwide partnership under which the Roc Nation music label will operate as a standalone label within the UMG family, effective immediately. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. As part of the agreement, forthcoming albums from JAY Z, Rihanna and many others will be released through UMG worldwide.
In making the announcement, Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of UMG, said, "In just five years, Roc Nation has established itself as one of the most successful brands in music with a reputation for developing some of today¹s most influential and popular talent. Not only does this agreement provide a dynamic platform for Roc Nation's exciting emerging artists, it extends our relationship with the extraordinary Rihanna and represents a homecoming for JAY Z—a brilliant artist and entrepreneur, who has been a creative cornerstone of our company. All of us at UMG are thrilled that JAY and Roc Nation chose UMG as their partners, knowing we will support their artists with a level of resources, expertise and passion that is simply unmatched in the industry."
Shawn "JAY Z" Carter said, "We are looking forward to working with Lucian and the incredible team he's assembled at Universal. We would like to applaud Lucian for collaborating with us to strike a new age deal. This agreement presents a unique opportunity for Roc Nation's artists—being able to continue to operate as an independent label with the strength, power and reach of the best major. I look forward to a long and prosperous collaboration with UMG. It feels good to be home."
ABOUT ROC NATION
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV