$9 billion insurer XL Group (XL) is a leader in the property-casualty insurance and reinsurance business, providing wholesale insurance products for commercial and industrial customers as well as for other insurers. The firm has historically been one of the most innovative names in risk management products, helping firms to reduce the chances of getting wiped out by a catastrophe.
While the insurance industry has become extremely commoditized in recent years, there are still some advantages that come from scale -- and XL has scale. That gives XL the ability to underwrite big, hugely unlikely risks for large corporations that smaller insurance firms don't have the balance sheet to absorb. New products are another big de-equalizer for XL's insurance book; as the firm continues to offer new, innovative financial protection products, firms demanding those offerings have no choice but to pay what XL's underwriting arm wants to charge them.Like other insurance firms, XL took a substantial hit following the financial crisis of 2008. But also like peers, XL has made leaps and bounds to re-solidify its investment portfolio. Now, XL Group's 22.8% ascent in 2013 doesn't look like it's coming to an end any time soon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV