'Indie' Author Reaps Success With The 'Right Mix And Message'
BUCKS COUNTY, Pa., April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Chrysa Smith, author of The Adventures of the Poodle Posse series, a completely self-published and award-winning juvenile fiction series, has just passed sales of 7000 books – a volume that many beginning authors struggle in reaching.
'That's a great number,' says Smith, who relates that many authors she knows struggle with low sales and small royalty payments. 'Self-publishing is a two-edged sword,' she adds, 'While you have much control on the front side of the process, there's not so much on the marketing side.' Smith believes that the field of self-publishing is still in its infancy, and many doors open to traditionally-published authors still remain closed. 'For me, it was a matter of putting in great love and effort in creating virtuous, fun stories, and having something to show for it,' she claims.
Smith, who spent about two decades writing features for regional and national magazines, turned her attention to her own 'posse' of miniature poodles for inspiration. 'Thanks to an age group that's strongly focused on reading, the topic of dogs, stories with positive messages (sharing, bullying, patience), an author visit fee that's quite reasonable and books that are priced under $10 has contributed to the success,' says Smith.
She visits more than two dozen schools annually and sells her books via school visits, her website and Amazon.com. A winner of a Mom's Choice Award for excellence in family-friendly juvenile fiction and a top pick on Amazon's Children's Bookshelf, Smith is beginning to book schools for the 2013/14 school year and adds, 'I always knew writing was fun. Now, the school visits make it all that more rewarding.'More about the author, her series, reviews and school visits on www.wellbredbook.net. SOURCE Tandem Media
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV