NEW YORK ( TheStreet Ratings) -- Every trading day TheStreet Ratings' stock model reviews the investment ratings on around 4,300 U.S. traded stocks for potential upgrades or downgrades based on the latest available financial results and trading activity.
TheStreet Ratings released rating changes on 51 U.S. common stocks for week ending April 5, 2013. 30 stocks were upgraded and 21 stocks were downgraded by our stock model.
Rating Change #10
ChinaEdu Corporation (CEDU) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CEDU has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, CEDU has a quick ratio of 2.20, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for CHINAEDU CORP -ADR is rather high; currently it is at 60.40%. Regardless of CEDU's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CEDU's net profit margin of 11.13% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Diversified Consumer Services industry and the overall market, CHINAEDU CORP -ADR's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- CEDU has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 9.16% from its price level of one year ago. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts