NEW YORK, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- JANA Partners LLC today announced that Barry Rosenstein and David Bullock appear to have enough votes to be elected to the board of Agrium Inc. (TSX / NYSE: AGU) at tomorrow's Annual General Meeting. While only Agrium knows the vote results for both sides, based on the number of votes received by these nominees and the typical turnout for contested Canadian elections, and leaving aside the potential impact of Agrium's offer to pay financial advisors and brokers for favorable votes, it appears that both will be elected. JANA thanked Agrium shareholders for casting approximately 59 million votes on the blue proxy for one or more of JANA's nominees.
Further supporting JANA's belief, some shareholders have informed JANA that Agrium contacted them after Friday's voting deadline, when Agrium received the full vote results, and asked them to switch their votes away from JANA's nominees. Agrium's meeting rules permit it to extend the voting deadline without public notice if doing so would help the current board win reelection.
- It appears that, after receiving the results on Friday, Agrium began contacting shareholders urging them to switch their votes away from Mr. Rosenstein and Mr. Bullock to other JANA nominees, without disclosing that those other nominees do not have enough votes to be elected. Agrium has also apparently asked some shareholders to support only Mr. Rosenstein, while asking others to support only Mr. Bullock.
- In each case, it appears that Agrium's goal is to lower the overall vote totals for both Mr. Rosenstein and Mr. Bullock to prevent either from being elected, by creating the false impression that if a shareholder moves their vote away from one JANA nominee another JANA nominee will still be elected.
"We ask any shareholder contacted by Agrium to hold firm and contact us to correct anything they may hear," said Mr. Rosenstein. "Agrium moved up the voting by over a month to end the debate, and it should not extend it because the results were not to its liking."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts