Baseball Greats Ozzie Smith & Vince Coleman Win 12th Annual Michael Jordan Invitational At Shadow Creek In Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Former St. Louis Cardinals baseball superstars and World Series champion teammates Ozzie Smith and Vince Coleman joined forces to once again win a title – this time on the golf course – at the 12 th annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational (MJCI) hosted by ARIA Resort & Casino. The tournament was held at Shadow Creek for the third consecutive year and was highlighted by the winning duo's score of 11-under par, 133. More than $500,000 was raised for charity as a result of the 2013 event.
Smith and Coleman, who each took home $20,000 for their designated charities, followed up their first-round score of six-under par 66 with a five-under par 67 on day two. They were able to overcome a late surge by the second-place team of Ahmad Rashad and the "Great One" Wayne Gretzky to win by four strokes. The two teams were tied heading into the 17 th hole but Smith/Coleman birdied the final two holes while Rashad/Gretzky bogeyed their final two holes.
Click here for MJCI Final Results: http://mjcigolf.com/2013MJCISundaySummary.pdf
Defending champion Brandi Chastain and this year's teammate Ken Griffey, Jr., shot a seven-under par 65 to take the lead after day one. However, the All-Star athletes struggled on Sunday and finished the 36-hole tournament at three-under, 141. Fan favorite, NBA legend and tournament host Michael Jordan teamed up with NFL Super Bowl champion and "sack master" Dwight Freeney to finish in a tie for ninth at Even par, 144.When asked about the team win Coleman said, "I told Michael 'give me my teammate. I know Ozzie and I love him. If there is anyone I want to go down swinging with it's him.' We'll definitely be back but we won't be able to defend together, because if I know Michael, he won't make us partners again."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV