CHICAGO, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Cars.com, the premier online resource for buying and selling new and used cars, has named the BMW 3-Series Sedan the winner of the Cars.com/ USA Today/MotorWeek Sport Sedan Challenge. The challenge pitted six of the most popular sport sedans against each other in a series of tests. Cars tested, all priced at or below $46,000, included the Acura TL, Audi A4, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac ATS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Volvo S60.
"After completing the challenge, it was easy to see why the sport sedan class has long been ruled by the BMW. For years, they have set the bar for other automakers to produce entry-level sport sedans that are similarly equipped," said Patrick Olsen, Cars.com's editor-in-chief. "This segment has grown into one of the most popular offerings by luxury automakers because of their impressive feature set and drivability at a reasonable price."
Experts from Cars.com, USA Today, "MotorWeek" and a couple in the market for a sport sedan tested the six cars for performance, comfort, fuel-efficiency, features and overall drivability.
- 180-mile drive that covered twisting mountain roads, freeways and surface streets to test each car for real-world fuel mileage.
- One day of round-robin driving where each expert drove each car back-to-back on the same course which included freeways, surface streets and stop-and-go traffic.
- Track tests, including a road course for handling, tight turns, acceleration and braking. Additionally, the cars were tested on a drag strip for zero-to-60, quarter mile time and 60-to-zero braking.
- One day of in-market shopper testing, where an actual car shopper went car-to-car judging seating, cargo, feature and ride-quality.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts