Ukraine's Pardons Represent A Success For European Parliament's Mission
BRUSSELS, April 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
As European leaders lined up to praise the decision by Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych to pardon former Interior Minister Yuriy Lutsenko and other opposition figures, credit was also being given to the European Parliament's special envoys to Ukraine who have been engaged in 11 months of shuttle diplomacy.
Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, singled out for praise former Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski and former EP President Pat Cox, who have made numerous visits to Ukraine, seeking solutions to the sensitive court cases.
"Fair and independent justice is needed in Ukraine, and the release of Mr. Lutsenko is a step in the right direction," Schulz said on Sunday.Calling the pardons an encouraging move, Schulz said "I wish to deeply thank presidents Cox and Kwasniewski for their efforts in securing the pardon and release of Yuriy Lutsenko." He added that their commitment had "ensured that Yuriy Lutsenko is a free man who can enjoy his first night in years with his family." Despite recent skepticism about the value of the mission expressed by some in the EP, Cox and Kwasniewski have persevered, holding frequent talks with both President Yanukovych and former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. Their efforts to find a solution to the Tymoshenko were continuing, Mr. Schulz said. However, a spokesman for Yanukovych noted that while in the Lutsenko case all court proceedings had concluded, in the Tymoshenko case he cannot issue a pardon until her legal options are exhausted. She is appealing against her 2011 abuse of office conviction at the European Court for Human Rights.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV