KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (TheStreet) -- Wander into the T.G.I. Friday's in the middle of Kandahar's vast military base and it's hard to believe you're in a war-torn corner of central Asia.
Nonetheless, this is no ordinary restaurant, as evidenced by the cluster of marines chilling in one of the booths, and, more ominously, the bomb shelter just a short dash away.
T.G.I. Friday's is one of around 50 businesses that make up Kandahar Boardwalk, undoubtedly one of the world's strangest retail centers. Forming a broad circle around an 8-a-side soccer field, basketball courts and a street hockey rink, the dusty, wooden Boardwalk is a thriving social and shopping hub for off-duty personnel.
In addition to the sellers of local wares such as rugs and jewelry, there's Yum Brands' (YUM) KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants and even a Nathan's Famous (NATH), giving the Boardwalk, like most of the base, a distinctly stateside feel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV