LOS ANGELES -- Resurrected demons and resurrected dinosaurs are helping to put some life back into the weekend box office.
Sunday studio estimates put the demonic horror remake Evil Dead at No. 1 with a $26 million debut.
In a tight fight for second-place were two holdovers, the animated comedy The Croods and the action flick G.I. Joe: Retaliation, both with an estimated $21.1 million. Final numbers Monday will sort out which movie comes out ahead.
Steven Spielberg's 3-D debut of his dinosaur blockbuster Jurassic Park came in fourth with $18.2 million. That's on top of the $357.1 million domestic haul for Jurassic Park in its initial run in 1993.Released by Sony's (SNE) TriStar Pictures, Evil Dead added $4.5 million in 21 overseas markets, giving it a worldwide start of $30.5 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV