NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- Friday's unusual stock market activity; and
- what F5 Networks' blowup means.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
The Market Fooled Everyone TodayPosted at 4:05 p.m. EDT on Friday, April 5 You can tell for certain what "they" like on days like today. "They" (meaning the collective wisdom of the market) love real estate investment trusts and the utilities, both of which "they" regard as yield equivalents backed by hard assets. We may think this is all Ben Bernanke's doing, but I think that's so wrong. In fact, rates are where they are now because they are the world's safe haven -- except the rich people around the world who want a little extra yield. Plus, remember that this week President Obama moved on making foreign pension plans exempt from U.S. taxes on real estate trades, meaning they no longer pay taxes when they take profits on REITs. So the money's going there aggressively.
We are also witnessing an astonishing rally in the financials that makes little sense other than they have been down a lot. They don't have the yield, they don't do well in this yield environment and they are most likely going to disappoint when they start reporting, which is as soon as next Friday when we hear from JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC). The only explanation I can see is that there's a (nascent) return to the housing trade, perhaps because we know rates are going to stay low and refinancings are going to be remain easy. If you believe this, go buy Radian (RDN) and Toll Brothers (TOL) as they have the most upside. The transports and materials companies? They were hammered hard ahead of the number, so you can see people saying, "Ah-hah, now we know why they were down. So we can go buy them." I get the first. The second? I don't know. I fear the earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV