Statement By The Honourable James Moore, Minister Of Canadian Heritage And Official Languages, On The Occasion Of National Tartan Day
OTTAWA, April 6, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, we celebrate National Tartan Day. On this day we recognize the many contributions that Canadians of Scottish descent have made to our society. In addition to helping build dynamic communities, they have helped develop many of our institutions and have enriched our culture in countless ways.
Many have also fought valiantly to defend this country. This year, as we continue to commemorate the War of 1812, we might especially remember Sir Gordon Drummond, an officer born in Canada of Scottish parents, who commanded British and Canadian forces defending Canada at the Battle of Lundy's Lane in July 1814 and went on to distinguish himself as Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada from 1813 to 1814.
As Canadians, we also celebrate our own Maple Leaf Tartan. Created in anticipation of Canada's centennial, it was inspired by the changing colours of the Canadian maple leaf through the four seasons. The Maple Leaf Tartan was recognized as an official national symbol in 2011.
As Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, I invite all Canadians to take this opportunity to reflect on the significance of the Maple Leaf Tartan and to celebrate the contributions that Canadians of Scottish heritage have made to our country. On the road to Canada's 150 th birthday in 2017, let us take this opportunity to celebrate all of the things that make Canada the united, strong, and free country we are today.SOURCE Canadian Heritage
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV