Fred DuVal Launches Petition To Support Civil Unions In Bisbee, Arizona
PHOENIX, April 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Arizona business and education leader Fred DuVal, who is exploring a run for Governor, today launched a petition on the popular website change.org calling on Attorney General Tom Horne to drop his planned lawsuit against the City of Bisbee for its new civil unions ordinance.
On April 2, the Bisbee City Council passed an ordinance offering civil unions to all couples in the city. These civil union certificates give couples the same rights and responsibilities as married couples, including property ownership, inheritance, guardianship and adoption rights.
In the ordinance, the Council makes it clear that the City doesn't have the authority to legalize same sex marriage. But while Arizona's constitution defines marriage, it is silent about civil unions, which gives Bisbee the authority to take this step for the liberty of its citizens. The council wrote that it seeks to "put an end to discriminatory practices within the City of Bisbee."
In response, Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne threatened a lawsuit against Bisbee for taking a stand against discrimination. DuVal's petition calls on Horne to drop the lawsuit."Please join me in taking a stand to support Bisbee," said DuVal. "Arizonans cherish our personal freedoms and Bisbee has the right to offer civil unions without big government interference. Such actions are a frivolous use of state resources." DuVal is asking all Arizonans who care about personal freedom to sign the petition in support of the position taken by the Bisbee Council. Visit http://www.fred2014.com to access the petition. SOURCE Fred DuVal
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV