Jobs Report Take Away: You Won't Find Work
Professional and business services added 51,000 jobs in March to lift 12-month employment in the industry to 533,000. Construction employment gained, while the leisure and hospitality sector added jobs.
"I would say [new job growth] was well diversified across industries; the revisions from January and February were certainly a positive point," said Dave Roda, a regional chief investment officer at Wells Fargo Private Bank.
While weak, labor remains in an upwardly trending cycle.
"I think just psychologically here we're at a very nasty juncture, because you have now shifted away from new all-time highs [in stocks] to now the economy being weak," said Michael Gayed, chief investment strategist at Pension Partners, LLC.The March employment situation served a stark reminder that, while investors have ridden one of the best quarters for stocks since the financial crisis, America's unemployed still haven't escaped the destruction of the Great Recession. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV