Statement From The Campaign To Fix The Debt
WASHINGTON, April 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a statement from Maya MacGuineas, President of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget and head of the Campaign to Fix the Debt:
With the release of President Obama's budget proposal scheduled for next Wednesday, the Campaign to Fix the Debt is encouraged by preliminary reports that the proposal will include reforms to our entitlement programs – the true drivers of our long-term debt. These reported proposals point the way toward an emerging bipartisan consensus between the Administration and Congressional leaders over essential fiscal issues.
Budget proposals from both Senate Democrats and House Republicans would put the debt on a downward path as a share of the economy this decade, and we certainly hope and expect the President's to do the same. While we are heartened by the President's willingness to put some important reforms on the table, we hope that his budget proposal will go further in altering the unsustainable long-term trajectory of our national debt, creating a stable fiscal environment for the next generation.
The following is a list of criteria the Campaign to Fix the Debt would like to see in the President's proposal:
- Put the debt on a clear downward path relative to the economy
- Include serious health care reforms
- Include comprehensive Social Security reform
- Include pro-growth tax reform
- Put other areas of the budget on the table for discussion.
- Focus on the long-term
- Don't ignore expected costs or offset costs with unspecified savings
- Avoid budget gimmicks
- Build on, don't water down, previous proposals
- Demonstrate willingness to compromise on a bipartisan basis
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV