Media Advisory - Government Austerity Schemes Continue To Fail Workers, CAW President Says
PORT ELGIN, ON, April 5, 2013 /CNW/ - In his wide-ranging opening address today to the union's parliamentary body, CAW President Ken Lewenza emphatically called governments to task for failed austerity schemes.
"Austerity doesn't work," Lewenza told over 600 elected workplace representatives attending the CAW Council held at the union's Family Education Centre in Port Elgin, Ontario this morning.
Lewenza pointed to the ongoing severe impact that government spending and program cuts are having on workers and, by extension, economies in Canada and around the world.
"Economies can't find their footing when unemployment rates remain stubbornly high," Lewenza said, highlighting specifically the Harper government's recent stay-put budget and the need for ongoing direct investment to put 2 million Canadians back to work.Lewenza's comments come on the heels of today's release of Statistics Canada's job market numbers for March. The national statistics agency reported the economy shed 55,000 jobs last month, completely erasing the unexpected (and temporary) national job gain in February. "We won't solve our fundamental economic problems without first answering the jobs question," Lewenza said. "Communities across the country continue to struggle with chronically high unemployment and, worse, a decline in those actually seeking jobs." "By focusing on austerity rather than job-creation, our governments are making the problem worse - not better. It's time we invest in good jobs, quality services and much-needed infrastructure." The CAW Council runs from April 5-7. The union represents 193,000 members across Canada. SOURCE Canadian Auto Workers Union (CAW)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV