Clearly, Best Buy will need to show its Samsung partnership can drive consumer traffic and sales, as the retail concept is rolled out nationwide.
Were the company to demonstrate success, investors might also look for similar concepts from the likes of BlackBerry and HP given a mutual need throughout the electronics industry to take on Apple.
Founder and returning board member Schulze may finally play a backseat role at Best Buy now that takeover negotiations have ended. In fact, Schulze's return and the appointment of two hand-picked directors may be overstated in their importance.
The board nominations fulfill an August standstill agreed between Schulze and Best Buy amid takeover negotiations. Meanwhile, Schulze's new emeritus title may simply be a tip that he'll keep his 20% stake in Best Buy shares. "This should mean that the founder will maintain the bulk of his ownership position for the near-term and lowers the risk that he will dispose of his stake in a disorderly fashion," Michael Lasser, a UBS analyst noted in a Mar. 25 client note.After a half year of takeover trauma and what appeared to be distraction that slowed Best Buy's strategic realignment, Thursday's Samsung partnership indicates Best Buy, once again, has control of its turnaround plan. For more on Best Buy's turnaround, see the company's false junk ratings foundation. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York Follow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV