Apple made things simpler still. You go into an Apple store and they take care of you. You buy it online and they take care of you. You get it home, you turn it on, it works. There are no moving parts, and no more opening of manuals or even "Dummies" books.
Apple's channel focus has been to line up all the phone companies with deals that make Apple's high prices look low. The deal with T-Mobile is classic -- 20% down, $20/month, and when the hardware is paid for you can walk away from the carrier. The assumption, of course, is that when the hardware is paid for, two years from now, you'll want new hardware and another deal. If that sounds a lot like the way salesmen lease cars, it's because it is.
If the price hurdle is cleared, and Apple is a safe brand, and you don't have to know anything to make the thing work -- just poke a finger at it -- then it's just a matter of wash, rinse, repeat. That's what Tim Cook has been working on.
Of course that's not sexy. There's no drama in any of that. But drama is what the media wants. Consumers just want something that works.At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG and AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV