New Shell Research Busts Myths On American Drivers' Views About Fuel Efficiency
HOUSTON, April 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- For years, American car culture has influenced US motorist behavior, affecting everything from what we drive to how we drive and maintain our vehicles. Shell announced results from a new national study today that provides insight into current US driver attitudes on fuel efficiency and compares them to those of drivers in other countries. The results counter some common myths about national views on energy use, revealing that Americans care about using energy resources wisely, understand the importance of fuel efficiency and want to learn more about how to save fuel.
From this study's findings, Shell also announced the US launch of Target One Million, as part of its Smarter Driving program. The goal of this initiative is to show one million people worldwide how easy it is to become more fuel efficient.The survey results show:
- Americans are more concerned about energy waste compared to other countries surveyed, with half of US drivers bothered by people wasting energy and 54 percent seeing it as a waste of resources beyond just money.
- US drivers recognize the positive impact of fuel efficiency both financially and out of respect for the planet's resources. Seventy-seven percent see being fuel efficient as an important way for them to personally use resources in a more sustainable way, while 86 percent also see it as important for saving money.
- While 63 percent of drivers indicate a willingness to change their driving behaviors to be more fuel efficient, nearly one in three US drivers also indicated they don't know how to drive more efficiently.
- Half of the people surveyed keep items in the trunk of their vehicles, with 23 percent using it as a permanent storage space, and
- Many are not servicing their vehicle properly, with 40 percent missing maintenance checks and another one in 10 not getting regular maintenance done on their vehicles.
- Maintenance: Perform smart maintenance before you drive;
- Actions: Practice smart behaviors while you're behind the wheel; and
- Products: Purchase smart products and services without sacrificing price or quality.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV