Audit Finds Lack Of Mine Inspectors In Illinois
By DAVID MERCER
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) â¿¿ The state department in charge of mine safety lacked enough safety inspectors to comply with Illinois law in 2011 and 2012, according to an audit of the agency released Thursday.
Illinois' auditor general found that the Department of Natural Resources had 10 inspectors to handle the 40-plus mines operating in the state over those two years rather than the 16 required for that number of mines by the state Coal Mining Act. The law requires that mines be inspected once a month.
The audit also said the DNR hadn't established some needed policies to comply with the law, and in some cases hadn't maintained mine-related records.A spokesman for the department said that, like other DNR operations such as state parks, the state's poor financial health had cut into its mining staff. Illinois faces both a massive government-budget deficit and an unfunded pension obligation that's close to $100 billion. In fact, there are now nine full-time inspectors after one retired, DNR spokesman Chris McCloud said. "The state's costly pension issues continue to impact the agency's budget, leaving the department without necessary funding to hire the number of coal mine inspectors as required by state law," McCloud said in an email. But he said the department hadn't missed any inspections, relying now on the nine full-time inspectors plus five other department employees who are certified to do the work. A spokesman for a mine-workers union said that agencies that oversee mining in many states are short on money to do their jobs. "We see this not only in Illinois but in Kentucky and Alabama and West Virginia and Pennsylvania, and at the federal level," United Mineworkers of America spokesman Phil Smith said. In Illinois, the union represents between 400 and 500 miners and other workers at a single mine and other smaller mining-related operations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV