Canada's Unemployment Rates Rises To 7.2 Percent
OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) â¿¿ Canada's unemployment rate climbed two-tenths of a point to 7.2 percent after the country lost 54,500 jobs in March.
The report took back all of the gains of February and then some, leaving job creation in Canada in negative territory for the first three months of the year.
Economists had expected a modest 6,500 pick-up during the month, anticipating that February's large gain could not be sustained. But few saw the cut in the labor market would run so deep.
Statistics Canada said Friday all the jobs lost were in the full-time category. The government agency says that over the past year, only 111,000 private-sector jobs have been created.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV