NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's not every day that you come across a REIT that has it all: High quality assets, diversified properties, good management team, stable dividend, and most importantly -- upside for appreciation.
Earlier this week I interviewed Scott Peters, the CEO of Healthcare Trust of America (HTA). Peters and his Scottsdale, Ariz.-based team listed HTA's shares on June 6 and the company has grown into a "best in class" pure-play health care REIT.
What do I mean by pure-play? Simply said, HTA invests in just one product type -- medical office buildings -- and that necessity-driven sub-sector is perhaps one of the most defensively risk-aligned categories today.
HTA broke through the $12.00 mark a few weeks ago (all-time high was $12.21 on March 15) and since that time the stock has been hanging above the $11.40 to $11.60 range. The dividend yield today is just less than 5% (4.95%) with a P/FFO of 17.6. Around ten months ago, I was the first to recommend HTA on The Street (see my article here) and since that time shares have climbed more than 16% -- add on the 5% dividend yield and you get a total return of more than 21%.
Now the institutions are getting wind of the new kid in town. Most investors have heard of the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrials. These are examples of funds that invest in companies based on a broad-based index rather than individual stock fundamentals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV