Kleinfeld's confidence was manifested in the company's outlook. Alcoa anticipated 7% growth in aluminum demand for 2013. While this was a 1% increase above 2012 guidance, the company also said that China is expected to account for roughly 50% of that growth.
The company's going to need it, especially since analysts have trimmed estimates due to slumping aluminum prices, which have fallen by 10 cents per pound over the past month. However, management has remained positive and Alcoa continues to speak favorably about the automotive and aerospace industries, where companies such as Ford (F) and Boeing (BA) have started to migrate towards using aluminum in their vehicles and jets.
Management has also projected significant improvements in other segments, including gas turbine markets and food packaging. Likewise, there are also plenty of growth opportunities in areas such as appliances, where names such as General Electric (GE) might become a significant consumer of aluminum.
All of this means the company needs more time to execute. For now, the stock looks incredibly cheap. But as I've said before, unless aluminum prices recover, we may be repeating this theme for the next several quarters. Alcoa today has considerable amount of value, but it requires a lot of patience for that value to be realized.At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @rsaintvilus
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV