- Of likely Republican voters, 88 percent said they support reducing the illegal immigrant population by requiring employers to check workers' legal status, fortifying the border, and getting the cooperation of local police. Of all likely voters, 72 percent supported this approach.
- The poll does find support for legalizing illegal immigrants. Of likely Republican voters, 47 percent said they support giving illegal immigrants legal status if they pay a fine, study English, and undergo a background check. Of all likely voters, 61 percent support this approach.
- When asked which of these two approaches they prefer, 82 percent of Republicans said they support reducing the illegal immigrant population compared to 12 percent who preferred conditional legalization.
- Among all likely voters, 58 percent said they support reducing the illegal immigrant population, compared to 31 percent who said they preferred conditional legalization.
- Supporting legalization is politically very risky. Of Republican voters, 79 percent said they would be less likely to vote for a member of Congress who supported legalization, while just 8 percent of voters said they would be more likely to vote for a member who supported legalization.
- Of all likely voters, 56 percent said they would be less likely to vote for a member of Congress who supports legalization, while just 27 percent said they would be more likely to vote for a member who supports legalization.
- A number of conservative evangelical leaders have endorsed the idea of legalizing illegal immigrants. However, among self-identified white evangelicals, enforcement is by far the most popular option: 79 percent said they preferred reducing the illegal immigrant population by enforcing the law, just 13 percent supported legalization with conditions.
Pushing Amnesty Very Risky For GOP
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.