Waiting In Drain: Homeserve Discover Brits Spend 72m Hours A Year Waiting For Plumbers
Even when Britons do find a tradesman, the average window for arrival is a massive 6.5 hours - almost an entire working day. But one in 10 (11%) report that their tradesman could only specify a 24-hour period - with one in five (21%) longer than a day and 6% a week or more.
To make matters worse, a third of Britons (36%) claim that the last time a tradesman arrived they were late - one in 10 (9%) by more than an hour - and one in 100 did not show at all.
HomeServe Memberships CEO Jonathan King said: "We're all busy, and in this day and age it can be difficult to take time off to wait in for tradesmen. To make matters worse, finding a skilled, trustworthy tradesman when you want one can be difficult - especially if they're needed at short notice in case of emergencies.
"Jobs running over or being more complicated than they first seem is an unavoidable part of the trade, but there are steps we can take to make things easier for our customers. That's why we at HomeServe have our own network of vetted plumbers, backed by a 24-hour handling team. We give our customers a morning or afternoon slot, at their convenience, and plumbers call customers to let them know we are on our way."Notes to editors: All research conducted online by Canadean Consumer on behalf of HomeServe, February 2013 among a representative sample of 2,005 UK adults. 1. There are 48,844,900 adults in the UK, of whom 77.3 per cent have called out a tradesman in the last three years, with the average number of call-outs in that period 2.04. The average wait at home per call-out is 2.8 hours. Therefore, each year: 48,844,900 x 0.773 x 2.04 x 2.8 / 3 = 71,889,533 hours wasted.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV