US Companies Likely Kept Up Steady Hiring In March
Americans appear to have shrugged off an increase in Social Security taxes that began in January. Consumers boosted their spending in February by the most in five months.
Consumers have been aided by the Federal Reserve's efforts to keep interest rates low. That has spurred higher sales of homes and cars. Many homeowners have also refinanced their mortgages at much lower rates, freeing up more money to spend on other items.
The housing market is recovering steadily. In February, sales of previously owned homes reached the highest level in more than three years. And home prices nationwide rose by the most in seven years that month compared with the same month a year ago. Builders broke ground on new homes at the second-fastest pace in nearly five years.
Still, many economists worry that growth will slow in the spring and summer because of the $85 billion in automatic government spending cuts.Economists expect the spending reductions will shave half a percentage point off economic growth this year. Many federal workers will experience pay cuts. And government contractors will likely cut jobs. That could also drag down overall monthly hiring. Mark Vitner, an economist at Wells Fargo Securities, expects that the economy expanded at a 3.2 percent annual rate in the first quarter. But he forecasts growth will slow to a 2 percent pace in the second quarter, and then rebound after the impact of the government spending cuts fades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV