Sony (SNE) is another initial partner, though no mention of a Sony smartphone was given during the presentation.
The social networking giant consistently talked about how great it was that Android is an open platform and that Google knew what Facebook was building. But it comes Facebook first and foremost, then Google after. Almost everything on the phone is Facebook-centric. Facebook Home includes new features, such as Chat Heads, Notifications, Cover Feeds, and App Drawer. Everything is designed to make navigation, engagement, and use much easier and friendlier.
"We think this is the best version of Facebook there is," Zuckerberg said during the presentation. Even search, something users do incredibly often on their phones with most coming from Google, could be switched out. Zuckerberg mentioned Microsoft's (GOOG) Bing as another option.
Zuckerberg said phones were built primarily around apps, but Facebook Home turns that on its head, as it's now built around people, as long as they're your Facebook friends. A question was asked whether other services, such as Twitter would be integrated, and Zuckerberg said he could see that potentially happening down the road, including the aforementioned Instagram.Facebook wants to make it so that you use the service without even thinking about it, becoming second nature when you pick up the phone. Google has done that with search, and by putting the service in front of you Facebook could doing the same. Just by swiping your finger or even looking at the lock screen, you can see what your friends or loved ones are doing. It's very Facebook-centric, and Facebook is trying to increase its mind share on an Android device. Making Facebook an even more engaged product at the expense of Google's Android is brilliant.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV