This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Investing Strategies Take the Guesswork Out of Making Money - Part 2

Smith had also pointed out to me that this system utilizes various sentiment indicators as well as studying the stocks and sectors that are in an established uptrend. As they both confidently explained, "Since 1984, a buy-and-hold strategy on the S&P 500 led to 8.2% annualized returns. Our simple trend system was able to up that gain to 9.8%. And we stayed invested 73% of the time.

"Our new sentiment system demolished those results. It returns 17% annualized gains. And it was only in "buy" mode 45% of the time. The other 55% of the time when our system said to stay on the sidelines it led to just 1.6% annualized returns.

Said another way, this system claims to get investors into a trade during the optimum times and keeps them out when the market is either flat or down. Incredibly, the results were even better as they studied this more carefully and dug deeper.

"The system produced 17 trades over our 29-year test. Fourteen of them were winners. That's an 82% win-rate and that crushes our trend strategies win rate of just 39%." They clarified that their trend strategy does a good job making money, but it has too many false signals. These result in small losses and lowered their odds of entering a winning trade.

No investment system or trading strategy is perfect and there are extenuating circumstances when all of them can fall flat on their faces. Yet, anything that improves our chances of entering money-making trades and avoiding the losers can help us make headway towards our retirement savings goals.

To learn more about "True Wealth Systems" I'd suggest that you begin here and do your own careful due diligence. If you can, compare it with the track record and claims of other investment strategies and proprietary systems that are ubiquitous on the worldwide web and see what you can find.

Make sure they've been tested and back-tested, and see how many variables they use to come up with their conclusions. The more reliable ones like "True Wealth Systems" cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop and test. There's no sure things but let's do what we can to stack the odds in our favor.

At the time of publication the author was long NEM and ABX.

This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.

Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to!
3 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $94.19 0.00%
FB $118.06 0.00%
GOOG $695.70 0.00%
TSLA $222.56 0.00%
YHOO $36.00 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,651.26 -99.65 -0.56%
S&P 500 2,051.12 -12.25 -0.59%
NASDAQ 4,725.6390 -37.5850 -0.79%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs