The company, based in Deerfield, Ill., said Thursday that most of its roughly 370 in-store Take Care Clinics now will diagnose, treat and monitor patients with some chronic conditions that are typically handled by doctors.
Drugstore clinics, which are run by nurse practitioners or physician assistants, have grown popular in recent years as a convenient and less expensive way to treat relatively minor illnesses when a patient doesn't have a doctor or if their physician isn't available. But the clinics have been broadening their scope of care: Walgreen's decision follows a move by competitor CVS Caremark Corp. a few years ago to start monitoring chronic conditions at most of its 640 MinuteClinics.
Best Buy stores to feature Samsung kiosksNEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Best Buy jumped on Thursday after it announced plans to create store-within-store kiosks for Samsung products â¿¿ a vote of confidence from a major consumer electronics retailer that the brick-and-mortar format is still an important way to sell products. Best Buy shares rose more than 16 percent. The Minneapolis-based company has battled the "showrooming" effect as more and more people browse in stores and then buy items cheaper online. That has led to fears that the big-box store format is growing obsolete. ___ By The Associated Press(equals) The Dow Jones industrial average rose 55.76 points, or 0.4 percent, to close at 14,606.11. The Nasdaq composite rose 6.38 points, or 0.2 percent, to 3,224.98. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 6.29 points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,559.98. Benchmark oil for May delivery was down $1.19 to $93.26 a barrel. Brent crude, used to price many kinds of oil imported by U.S. refineries, fell 77 cents to $106.34 per barrel on the ICE Futures exchange in London. Heating oil fell 4 cents to $2.97 a gallon. Natural gas rose 5 cents to $3.95 per 1,000 cubic feet. Wholesale gasoline futures fell 2 cents to $2.90 a gallon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV