Media Advisory - New Union Formation Tops Agenda For CAW Council This Weekend
TORONTO and PORT ELGIN, ON, April 4, 2013 /CNW/ - More than 600 CAW elected workplace and local union leaders from across the country will gather in Port Elgin, Ontario this weekend for the union's council meeting, April 5-7.
The CAW will be forming a new union with the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union, with a founding convention set for Labour Day weekend in Toronto. This will be the last CAW Council meeting before the creation of the new union. It will also be the first major gathering at the centre since the March 25 start-up of the union's wind turbine, located on the Family Education Centre property. The CAW Council is considered to be the parliament of the union, where major decisions are discussed, debated and determined.
CAW National President Ken Lewenza will deliver an address on Friday, April 5 at approximately 9:15 a.m. In his speech, Lewenza will touch on the progress of the work around the new union, the current labour relations climate, collective bargaining across the country, the recent federal budget and a number of other key issues of importance to working people.
Lewenza will also address the benefits of unionization as a means to bring about greater fairness and equality and the need to maintain the Rand Formula in every sector of the economy.Also on the agenda is:
- A presentation by Doctors without Borders' Julie Francis;
- A presentation by the Association for Workplace Tragedy Family Support - Threads of Life's Shirley Hicks;
- A video presentation by Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo;
- And a ceremony for the Day of Mourning ( April 28), recognizing the thousands of workers who are injured or killed on the job each year, year over year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV