CHICAGO, April 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CBOE Futures Exchange, LLC (CFE ®) today announced plans to expand CBOE Volatility Index ® (VIX ® index) futures trading hours – currently 7:00 a.m. CT to 3:15 p.m. CT -- in two phases, beginning in May.
The first phase of expanded trading hours is designed to meet demand from U.S. customers for a post-settlement trading period. The second phase will allow European-based customers to trade VIX futures during their local trading hours.
Phase one – Beginning Thursday, May 30, 2013
- Current VIX futures trading hours will expand by 45 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes after the 3:15 p.m. CT close of VIX futures, the market will reopen for a new trading session from 3:30 p.m. CT to 4:15 p.m. CT. Trading will then resume at 7:00 a.m. CT the following morning.
- The new 45-minute period, which marks the beginning of a new trading day, will be available from Monday through Thursday.
- VIX futures trading hours will expand by an additional five hours, with trading starting at 2:00 a.m. CT ( 8:00 a.m. London time), Monday through Friday.
- As in Phase one, the 3:30 p.m. CT - 4:15 p.m. CT trading period will be available Monday through Thursday only.