April 4, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- CBOE Futures Exchange, LLC (CFE
) today announced plans to expand CBOE Volatility Index
index) futures trading hours – currently
7:00 a.m. CT to 3:15 p.m. CT
-- in two phases, beginning in May.
The first phase of expanded trading hours is designed to meet demand from U.S. customers for a post-settlement trading period. The second phase will allow European-based customers to trade VIX futures during their local trading hours.
Phase one – Beginning Thursday, May 30, 2013
Phase two -- Beginning Monday, June 17, 2013
- Current VIX futures trading hours will expand by 45 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes after the 3:15 p.m. CT close of VIX futures, the market will reopen for a new trading session from 3:30 p.m. CT to 4:15 p.m. CT. Trading will then resume at 7:00 a.m. CT the following morning.
- The new 45-minute period, which marks the beginning of a new trading day, will be available from Monday through Thursday.
- VIX futures trading hours will expand by an additional five hours, with trading starting at 2:00 a.m. CT ( 8:00 a.m. London time), Monday through Friday.
- As in Phase one, the 3:30 p.m. CT - 4:15 p.m. CT trading period will be available Monday through Thursday only.
No trading is scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays.
The changes are subject to regulatory review.
, CFE opened a London Hub to further expand VIX futures trading in
. The Hub, which connects the Equinix facility in
to the CBOE Command Center at the Equinix facility in
, provides European firms with an economical choice to connect to the CFE trading matching engine.
About CBOE Futures Exchange:
CBOE Futures Exchange currently offers trading in: the CBOE Volatility Index (The VIX Index) futures (VX), Mini-VIX futures (VM), S&P 500 Variance futures (VA), CBOE NASDAQ-100 Volatility Index (VXN) futures (VN), CBOE Gold ETF Volatility Index (GVZ) security futures (GV), CBOE Crude Oil ETF Volatility Index (OVX) security futures (OV), CBOE Emerging Markets ETF Volatility Index (VXEEM) security futures (VXEM) and CBOE Brazil ETF Volatility Index (VXEWZ) security futures (VXEW).