NEW YORK, April 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The gradually falling unemployment rate is not yet providing American workers with a sense of security about their current employment status. In fact, the majority (56%) of employees are worried about job and benefits security as they watch the inner working of their employers' daily decisions about these critical issues. These are among the findings of the new Harris Poll Job Security Index which forms a baseline score that will be measured monthly to track the changing sentiment of today's American workers. Full findings and data tables are available here.
The new Harris Poll Job Security Index offers an internal view into today's American workplace by reporting on the job/benefits security pulse of the worker. The online survey of 1,014 American workers conducted between March 19 and 21, 2013 by The Harris Poll, found that:
- More than three in four (77%) workers believe their benefits will be reduced, especially health benefits.
- More than three in five (64%) believe their salaries will not increase.
- Half (50%) believe they will be asked to do more work for the same pay.
This month's data also shows 14% of employees worry that they will lose their job in the next three months, and one in five (20%) say it is likely they will have their salary or hours reduced. In addition, 32% of American workers say that if they were going to look for a new job in the next three months, they would not be likely to find one.So What?According to Al Angrisani, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harris Interactive and former Assistant Secretary of Labor for President Reagan, the reason the Harris Poll Job Security Index is an important new metric is that it offers insight into the culture and current state of job creation in the American workplace that might not otherwise be measured. "Employers have all the leverage in today's job marketplace and will continue to push productivity gains and the elimination of jobs or replacement by lower paying jobs until the supply and demand for labor changes," commented Angrisani. "The Harris Poll Job Security Index is a way to measure where the leverage in the job market is today. Until there is more employee leverage in the system, it is unlikely that you will see meaningful job creation," Angrisani concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV