Turkcell And UNDP Showcase Lifesaving Technology For Disasters And Crises
NEW YORK, April 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Innovative mobile technology can help save lives when conflicts and disasters strike in emerging countries, according to experts at today's high-level panel discussion organized by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations.
Recent disasters show that the Government of Turkey and Turkcell – the leading communications and technology company in Turkey – are helping to lead the way in this important area.
"In countries prone to disaster or conflict, rapid information sharing about preventative measures can save lives and property," said Rebeca Grynspan, UNDP Associate Administrator at the event, which showcased examples of how information technology – particularly mobile phones – have been used in the prevention, response and recovery from conflict and disasters around the world.
"Mobile technology enables citizens to connect to each other and authorities, spreading critical information in times of crisis," she added.Grynspan, representatives of the Turkish Government and other UN officials discussed disaster recovery measures and mobile communication continuity systems enacted by Turkish mobile phone company Turkcell in the aftermath of the devastating Van Province earthquake that struck eastern Turkey in October 2011. At the event, Grynspan also praised Turkcell for the role it played in the transmission of life-saving SOS messages as well as its contribution to post-disaster recovery and fundraising. "It is in times of disaster that corporations can – and must – activate their resources and innovative spirit to come to the aid of citizens," said Sureyya Ciliv, CEO of Turkcell. "Our experience in Van earthquake proved once more that readiness, decisiveness and speed, when met with the power of mobile technologies can save lives."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV