NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There is increasing chatter among IPO watchers that Twitter may test the initial public offering waters later this year.
Should they? Of course.
Twitter is going to have to go public at some point anyway, so it should be sooner rather than later. There's a point of view now in Silicon Valley that Wall Street is an evil and short-term-focused place and so private companies should take as long as possible before finally accepting SEC rules that require them to IPO. I disagree with this view. To me, going public is like becoming a parent: No amount of books you read before the fact teaches you how to do it. You learn how to be a parent by doing it, trial by fire style. Of course, you make mistakes but you learn how to cope and deal with the increased stress and time demands. As you get more and more kids, you become better and better at managing stress.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV