BIRMINGHAM, Ala., April 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Unit 2 of the Alvin W. Vogtle Nuclear Plant near Waynesboro, Ga., has safely resumed generating electricity following completion of a scheduled refueling and maintenance outage.
Plant operators safely took the unit offline on March 10. Electricity production resumed on April 3 at 12:32 p.m. ET. The last refueling outage for unit 2 was completed in fall 2011.
Each unit at Plant Vogtle requires new fuel every 18 months. In addition to refueling the reactor and performing regular maintenance and testing, workers made upgrades to plant systems and components. "Safety is our top priority, and our team is to be commended for completing this outage safely and efficiently," said Tom Tynan, site vice president for Vogtle units 1 and 2.Among the activities completed during the outage was the installation of a digital feed water control system that replaced analog technology original to the plant. An identical digital system was installed on unit 1 during its refueling and maintenance outage in October 2012. "The work performed during this unit 2 outage is a significant investment in this facility," Tynan said. "The unit is positioned not just for the next 18 months – but for years of continued safe and reliable electricity production." Employees from across the Southern Nuclear fleet assisted Vogtle's staff of more than 900 in the refueling effort. Over 800 additional workers from Williams Plant Services, Westinghouse, General Electric and other partners performed specialized tasks. These supplemental workers provided economic stimulus to surrounding communities during their stay in the area. Vogtle unit 1 continued to safely generate electricity while unit 2 was offline for the refueling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV