SUNNYVALE, Calif., April 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Accuray Incorporated (Nasdaq: ARAY), announced today that Heidelberg University Hospital, Germany, has treated the world's first patients with the new TomoEDGE™ Dynamic Jaws technology combined with VoLO™ Planning as part of its TomoTherapy® System. The new TomoEDGE Dynamic jaws technology was introduced at ASTRO 2012 as the newest evolution to the TomoTherapy System. The managing director of the department of radiotherapy, Jurgen Debus, M.D., and Florian Sterzing, M.D., radiation oncologist, both with Heidelberg University Hospital, were in charge of these first treatments at Heidelberg University Hospital.
"We treated our first patients on March 25, 2013 using the TomoEDGE technology, and we have successfully treated both prostate and breast patients," said Florian Sterzing, M.D., radiation oncologist with Heidelberg University Hospital. "With TomoEDGE we are now able to treat, faster, the entire spectrum of the radiation oncology patients."
"With the new TomoEDGE technology, we can provide the most precise and personalized treatment plans while also achieving significantly better dose distributions and at the same time reduce overall treatment time," added Jurgen Debus, medical director of the department of radiation oncology and radiotherapy with Heidelberg University Hospital.
The new TomoEDGE technology allows for sharper dose sculpting and reduces treatment time for many patients by approximately half, which will enable clinics to treat more patients per day. TomoEDGE Dynamic Jaws are optimized to open dynamically as they sweep across the target. This combines the benefits of narrow jaw widths to better sculpt dose at the edges of the treatment volume with larger jaw widths to complete treatment in a shorter time. The result is a precise, yet faster and more customized treatment delivery that is as unique as each patient.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV